Phil B.FontanarosaMD, Deputy EditorIndividualAuthorMargaret A.WinkerMD, Deputy EditorIndividualAuthorStephen J.LurieMD, PhD, Fishbein FellowIndividualAuthor
Copyright 2000 American Medical Association. All Rights Reserved.
Applicable FARS/DFARS Restrictions Apply to Government Use.2000
To the Editor: Contrary to the report by Dr
Deppisch and colleagues,1 Andrew Jackson
might well have had mercury poisoning. Jackson's physicians, like others of
their time, prescribed calomel (mercurous chloride) for a broad range of ailments.
Jackson's kidney problems, tooth loss, excessive salivation, tremor, and personality
quirks such as unpredictable mood shifts, irritability, and suspicion are
recognized outcomes of inorganic mercury poisoning.2
Cernichiari E, Myers GM, Clarkson TW, Weiss B. Did Andrew Jackson Have Mercury Poisoning?. JAMA. 2000;283(2):200-201. doi:10-1001/pubs.JAMA-ISSN-0098-7484-283-2-jbk0112