This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
On July 6, 1906, I was hastily summoned to see a seven-weeks-old baby whom the mother said was getting blue in the face at times, as if in the last throes of death.
When looking at the child I observed that when it became cyanosed the cyanosis was not caused by a typical convulsion, but rather by embarrassment of respiration. I immediately examined the eyes and found typical pin-point pupils, not reacting to the light. I questioned the mother as to any medicine which had been given, and she brought me a bottle of Jadaway's Elixir for Infants, manufactured by the C. W. Wilson company. The directions read:
The mother stated that she had purchased the bottle at a neighboring drugstore, and on the evening of July 5 had given the child five drops for colic. I believe that she had really given this small dose. I knew that I
OLANDER E. A CASE OF POISONING FROM OPIUM OR MORPHIN IN A 7-WEEKS-OLD BABY.. JAMA. 1906;XLVII(10):776. doi:10.1001/jama.1906.25210100048003a