To the late Dr. Harold Bailey belongs the credit for organizing and establishing the department of radiation therapy in the gynecology clinic at the Memorial Hospital. Bailey began his work with radium in 1915 and remained in charge until the fall of 1921.
In those first years the work was of necessity largely experimental; types of applicators and methods of approach had to be developed, and as a rule only advanced cases were treated. Moreover, much time was spent in studying dosage and tissue reactions to radium. During those years, the low voltage x-ray machine was available for roentgen therapy but was not utilized. Dependence was placed on radium alone.
By 1918 a working plan had been developed which consisted in the use of radium applied to the cervix in four ways: (a) vaginal, (b) intracervical and intrauterine, (c) external, by the use of a radium block at 4 cm.
HEALY WP. CARCINOMA OF CERVIX UTERIREPORT OF ONE THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY-FOUR CASES. JAMA. 1931;97(23):1680–1683. doi:10.1001/jama.1931.02730230022005