This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
Modifications in Hospital Construction
The economic crisis has brought about marked retrenchments wherever it has been possible. In Berlin three hospitals have been closed entirely; in others, certain departments have been abolished. Nevertheless, in the opinion of many persons, there is need of a private hospital for the middle class, with moderate prices. Hence, in spite of the stress of the times, born of a certain courageous, optimistic spirit, a 100-bed hospital (landhausklinik) has been erected in Wilmersdorf (near Berlin) by the Vaterländischer Frauenverein, affiliated with the Red Cross Society. The new institution combines in a practical arrangement and with pleasing architectural features three functions in three partially separated buildings: the clinic, the aerztehaus and the nurses' pavilion. The aerztehaus, for the accommodation of the fifteen physicians on the staff, forms a right angle with the clinic building. At the apex of the angle are the entrances, the staircases, the
BERLIN. JAMA. 1931;97(25):1904-1905. doi:10.1001/jama.1931.02730250062028