[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Other Articles
June 17, 1961

IV. The Family Practice Program at the Baltimore City Hospitals

Author Affiliations

Baltimore

From the divisions of medicine (Dr. Chinard), pediatrics (Dr. Harrison), and psychiatry (Dr. Neustadt), the Baltimore City Hospitals, and from the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine (Drs. Chinard, Harrison, and Neustadt).

JAMA. 1961;176(11):905-907. doi:10.1001/jama.1961.03040240011004

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.

Abstract

A FAMILY PRACTICE PROGRAM was started at the Baltimore City Hospitals in July, 1960, when the first house officer assumed his duties under that program. It is too early to evaluate the program. Instead, there follows a description of its setting, the factors which have led to its particular format in Baltimore, and the impact that the program may have, not only on its host hospital, but also eventually on the practice of medicine in the community.

The Community and Medical Settings  Baltimore is a sprawling semi-industrial town with a metropolitan population of the order of a million and a half and with some 2,000 physicians to tend to its medical needs. It has only one municipal hospital, the Baltimore City Hospitals. This is a teaching institution with ties to the 2 medical schools in its area but with a particularly close relationship to the medical school of the Johns

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×