This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
To the Editor:—
Two months ago, in the January 20 issue of The Journal, you published an article by Drs. Rathmell and Smith to which I must take exception, particularly as it followed so soon after a paper by Dr. H. B. Williams in which also many experts doubt the diagnosis. In this article the child is supposed to have had acute lead poisoning due to only an infinitesimal quantity of lead obtained from orange juice put into an aluminum container. It seems to me unwise to give great publicity to a so-called established case of lead poisoning in a child who is said to have ingested less than 0.02 mg. of lead. Most persons ingest more than that every day in their drinking water, with absolutely no known deleterious effects. An analysis of the dishes was mentioned but no report on this was made, and it is obvious that
Aub JC. LEAD AS A HAZARD. JAMA. 1940;114(22):2237. doi:10.1001/jama.1940.02810220061019