[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 54.146.176.35. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Editorials
March 28, 1964

DEATHTRAPS IN UTILITY ROOMS

JAMA. 1964;187(13):1021. doi:10.1001/jama.1964.03060260049014

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.

Abstract

Children,oline for power lawn mowers, and gas water heaters are not only incompatible in the same room but also highly dangerous. A new hazard to life has developed in contemporary housing arrangements, wherein the utility room has now become the locale for tragedy. A report from New Orleans, in this issue of The Journal (p 1034), recounts five cases of severely burned 2-year-old children, with three fatalities. All of these accidents followed the same sequence of events and all of them were preventable if parents had only considered the peril of such a combination.

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×