[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Critical Commentary
October 26, 1964

Our Neglect of General Internists and Practitioners in Teaching Hospitals

Author Affiliations

Brookline, Mass

From Peter Bent Brigham Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston.

JAMA. 1964;190(4):286-288. doi:10.1001/jama.1964.03070170027008
Abstract

THE MEDICAL SCHOOLS of this country and their affiliated teaching hospitals have been taken over by the so-called full-time members of the faculty. This has been inevitable, necessary, and desirable. Before the turn of this century the professors of biochemistry, physiology, pharmacology, and other faculty members often practiced medicine in addition to giving lectures on respective subjects. Most of their activities were confined to teaching and research when they became fulltime department heads. However, those attached to the clinical departments were also busily engaged in seeing private patients in their offices, in the patients' homes, and also doing consultation work with other physicians. Gradually professors in the clinical departments became intramural men and confined all or most of their work to the teaching hospitals. This last step became necessary because of the growing administrative duties that developed in connection with being the head of a department in a progressive medical

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×