[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Other Articles
April 14, 1962

SIR WILLIAM GULL

JAMA. 1962;180(2):156-157. doi:10.1001/jama.1962.03050150062016
Abstract

No physician in London is more deserving of the title, "Perpetual Pupil" at Guy's, than William Gull. The initial contact with Guy's dates from the age of 4, when the family moved to a small village in the Essex Estates, the property of the Thomas Guy's Foundation.1 William's father, a barge owner and wharfinger, died 10 years after William's birth (1816) and left the family in meager circumstances. The widow, a remarkable person, capable and industrious, devoted her life to the care of her fatherless children. William attended the parish school after outgrowing the Dame's school in the village. The influence of the rector, a nephew of Benjamin Harrison and treasurer of Guy's, was fortuitous. Harrison, who ruled the hospital as a beneficent despot for 50 years, had much to do in furthering William's medical career. He was encouraged to attend lectures on botany, chemistry, and other premedical subjects,

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×