This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
To the Editor:—
In addition to the facts mentioned by Dr. Samuel M. Feinberg in his answer to the question of how cut flowers cause allergic reactions (JAMA177:822 [Sept. 16] 1961), I would suggest 2 additional sources of trouble from flowers.The first is from insecticide with which these flowers are frequently sprayed by the florist and to which people are frequently sensitive. In addition, any vegetative material forms an excellent medium on which molds may grow. This may cause trouble for the mold-sensitive individual.
Beede RB. Allergy to Flowers. JAMA. 1962;180(2):178. doi:10.1001/jama.1962.03050150084026