Wild boar meat was the likely cause of 9 trichinellosis cases diagnosed last year in Cook County, Illinois.
Trichinellosis is a parasitic infection caused by eating undercooked infected meat. The Illinois patients had eaten wild boar and deer meat from animals they hunted at a Missouri ranch in January 2013. Both kinds of meat were ground together into sausage and shared among 2 families. Trichinella spiralis larvae were identified in the sausage but not in the deer meat, implicating the boar meat (Greene YG et al. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014;63:451).
Spoils of Wild Game Hunt: Trichinellosis Cases in Illinois. JAMA. 2014;312(4):329. doi:10.1001/jama.2014.8582