The Cover Section Editor: M. Therese Southgate,
MD, Senior Contributing Editor.
Though he traveled the world and was a sometime associate of the Gertrude
and Leo Stein circle of French modernism in Paris, as well as a close associate
of the Alfred Stieglitz and Georgia O'Keeffe group in New York City (where
he knew Duchamp and Picabia), Charles Demuth (1883-1935) remained close to
his Lancaster, Pa, roots; they extended at least as far back as 1770, when
a Demuth had opened a tobacco shop there just prior to the Revolutionary War.
Born at 109 N Lime St to Augusta and Ferdinand Demuth, the family moved, when
Charles was 5 years old, to 118 E King St, next door to the tobacco shop.
The King Street house had been occupied by Demuths since 1800. Charles maintained
a studio there for the rest of his life. After his death, Augusta maintained
the home just as she had for Charles, including the tray and fresh towel each
week for his insulin syringe. Today the King Street house, which saw its last
Demuth with the death of Augusta in 1943, exists as the Demuth Museum; the
tobacco shop, the oldest in America, continues as a business, though no longer
under the direct proprietorship of a Demuth.
Southgate MT. Spring. JAMA. 2000;283(11):1389. doi:10.1001/jama.283.11.1389