Bethesda, Md—The Mark O. Hatfield Clinical
Research Center at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), which opened to
patients in April, is a technological marvel with a human heart.
The Hatfield Center adjoins the Warren Grant Magnuson Clinical Center,
which opened in 1953. These two buildings, plus an ambulatory care research
facility, constitute the NIH Clinical Center. Among federal buildings, the
Clinical Center is second in size only to the Pentagon.
Lamberg L. New Home for Nation’s Research Hospital. JAMA. 2005;293(17):2077-2079. doi:10.1001/jama.293.17.2077