[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 54.146.141.60. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Editorial
May 11, 2005

Childhood Lead Poisoning PreventionToo Little, Too Late

Author Affiliations
 

Author Affiliations: Cincinnati Children’s Environmental Health Center, and Departments of Pediatrics and Environmental Health, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio.

JAMA. 2005;293(18):2274-2276. doi:10.1001/jama.293.18.2274

One hundred years ago, Gibson described an epidemic of childhood lead poisoning from the ingestion of lead-based paint.1 He showed that paint was the primary source of lead intake for these children by measuring lead on wipe samples collected from porch railings and houses that had recently been painted. Gibson speculated that educational efforts would prevent lead poisoning because many children with lead poisoning were reported to bite their nails or suck their fingers.1 Four years later, after their educational efforts failed to prevent lead poisoning, Gibson’s colleague, Turner, concluded, “Prevention is easy. Paint containing lead should never be employed . . . where children, especially young children, are accustomed to play.”2

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×