[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 54.211.82.105. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Editorial
April 19, 2006

Mercury in Dental Amalgam—A Neurotoxic Risk?

Author Affiliations
 

Author Affiliations: Departments of Psychiatry and Pediatrics, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pa.

JAMA. 2006;295(15):1835-1836. doi:10.1001/jama.295.15.1835

Dental amalgam, which contains 50% mercury by weight, has been used for at least 150 years. Because mercury is an acknowledged neurotoxin, concerns about the health effects of exposure to this chemical are widespread. Consequently, many individuals have submitted to removal of amalgam dental fillings, an uncomfortable, expensive procedure that is not free of hazard. In this issue of JAMA, Bellinger and colleagues1 and DeRouen and colleagues2 report the first 2 randomized controlled trials comparing the health effects in children treated with mercury amalgam fillings with those treated with a composite dental restorative material.

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×