This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
The first regularly organized division of the United States Army called into the field since the Civil War was mobilized at Texas City and Galveston, Tex., March 1, 1913. The troops encamped at Texas City numbered approximately 8,500 and those at Galveston 3,500.
The camp ground at Texas City had been selected in dry weather, when it presented a favorable appearance; but when actually occupied, after the spring rains, it proved to be badly drained. The soil was of clay and impervious, conditions usually considered unfavorable to health. In spite of such ditching as it was practicable to do, after heavy rains the water stood in the tents of both officers and men. By the first of April a better site had been selected and put in condition for occupancy by a comprehensive system of surface drainage, carried out under the supervision of the engineer officers of the division.
MILLER RB. THE SANITARY RECORD OF THE SECOND DIVISION OF THE U. S. ARMY IN TEXAS. JAMA. 1913;61(14):1293-1294. doi:10.1001/jama.1913.04350150049015