[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 54.159.197.114. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Views 671
Citations 0
News From the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
March 10, 2015

Hospitalizations Among the Elderly

JAMA. 2015;313(10):1005. doi:10.1001/jama.2015.1047

Over the past decade, the proportion of US adults 85 years or older remained steady at 2%. But they account for increasing percentages of hospitalizations and total days of care—trends that are likely to become more pronounced as this age group composes an increasing share of the US population during the next several decades.

According to data from the National Hospital Discharge Survey, the percentage of hospital discharges involving patients 85 years or older increased from 8% in 2000 to 9% in 2010. Similarly, the oldest age group accounted for 10% of total days of care in 2000 and 11% in 2010. The report indicated that by 2050, 21% of seniors are expected to be at least 85 years old, compared with 14% in 2010.

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×