[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 54.158.81.119. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
September 2, 1922

DEATH FROM FOOD POISONING DUE TO BACILLUS BOTULINUS

Author Affiliations

San Francisco

JAMA. 1922;79(10):825. doi:10.1001/jama.1922.26420100004014c

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.

Abstract

P. A. A. and T. P., two men, ate tomato-onion-chili sauce at noon, June 16, taken from the last of twelve bottles, home made, that had been used during the winter. While acrid and hot, its taste was not much different from that eaten previously. Slight gastro-enteric symptoms followed within a few hours, not sufficient to cause alarm. When I saw them next noon the patients complained of slight dizziness, vertigo and dryness of the throat, which was attributed to cider that they had drunk. When I was called the following morning, further inquiry elicited the information that the men had eaten the sauce described and that the housewife, thinking it "smelled too strong," had thrown it out. The symptoms at this time were diplopia, weakness, loss of accommodation, ptosis, dryness of the mouth and pharynx, constriction of the throat with difficulty in speaking and swallowing, and still slight gastro-intestinal

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×