This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
The St. Andrews Institute for Clinical Research
The St. Andrews Institute for Clinical Research was established in 1919 by Sir James Mackenzie. After a successful consulting career in London, he found that his practice did not supply opportunities for the prolonged observation of patients which he deemed necessary for his investigations. In the height of his fame, he retired to the small and remote university town of St. Andrews in Fifeshire, where the population is small and has less tendency to drift away than in the larger centers. He had started medical life as a general practitioner, and had passed a large part of it in manufacturing towns, where he laid the foundations of his researches, which have revolutionized cardiology. But he had always had an original outlook also on symptomatology in general, as his extensive writings show. He holds that our knowledge of disease is very defective on fundamental
LONDON. JAMA. 1924;82(11):901–902. doi:10.1001/jama.1924.02650370069025