This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
Manslaughter Due to Carelessness with Cyanide Gas
In Timisoara, the biggest provincial town in Roumania, in a three storied house, the premises of a tenant living on the first floor were disinfected by cyanide gas, applied by the local voluntary ambulance society. On the second floor, just above the cyanized premises, Dr. Juhl, a venereal specialist, lived. A patient, a young journalist, came out from Juhl's office and went to the toilet, apart from the living rooms of Dr. Juhl but reserved for patients' use. About fifteen minutes later some one opened the door of the toilet and saw the dead body of the journalist. Investigation revealed that the cyanide had leaked up through the crevices of the wall. The postmortem examination showed that death was due to the gas. The public prosecutor laid responsibility for the death of the journalist on the chief secretary of the ambulance society and
BUCHAREST. JAMA. 1930;95(11):811. doi:10.1001/jama.1930.02720110047022