[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 54.158.173.184. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
March 11, 1933

OPEN SAFETY PIN IN THE STOMACH OF A TWO MONTHS OLD BABY

Author Affiliations

Springfield, Ill.

JAMA. 1933;100(10):736. doi:10.1001/jama.1933.27420100001012

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.

Abstract

A baby girl, aged 2 months, swallowed an open safety pin, Oct. 4, 1932. The child had been crying, and to quiet it the mother pressed it against her bosom. As she did so the child's open mouth was pressed against the safety pin in the mother's dress. It promptly swallowed the pin.

The use of the roentgenograph the next day and of the fluoroscope each succeeding day for six days showed the open safety pin in the cardiac end of the stomach in the same position as when swallowed. During these days the child was regularly nursed and was given bread and milk, potatoes, and cooked cereals. In addition, a barium meal was given definitely to locate the safety pin in the stomach, and it was also hoped that the barium might carry the pin out of the stomach with it. October 10, it was decided to use operative

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×