This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
Saint Lazare began in 1124 as a hospital for lepers and later under Vincent de Paul it became the center of the congregation of the mission but continued to receive patients. This book is a study of the great monastery and hospital from 1632 to 1789, during which time it served as an asylum for the mentally diseased and as a house of correction. The methods of placement, classification and treatment are studied in detail. The book should be of much interest to those interested in the history of institutional care of mentally diseased and abnormal persons.
Les aliénés et les correctionnaires à Saint-Lazare au XVIIe et au XVIIIe siècles.. JAMA. 1930;95(15):1122. doi:10.1001/jama.1930.02720150062035