This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
On May 4, 1917, the Secretary of War directed that the Medical Department of the Army be charged with furnishing gas masks and other prophylactic apparatus for the army. With the organization of the Chemical Warfare Service, and by an order of June 28, 1918, gas defense ceased to be a function of the Medical Department. In this time, however, the Medical Department accomplished much, and the transfer of the responsibility for gas defense did not relieve the Medical Department of the responsibility for treating gas casualties. The great volume which is the subject of this review takes up thoroughly all aspects of the participation of the Medical Department of the U. S. Army in gas warfare. It is divided into three sections, on organization and administration of gas defense, clinical features, and experimental researches. The second section, on clinical features, which is of most interest to the general medical
The Medical Department of the United States Army in the World War. Volume XIV. Medical Aspects of Gas Warfare. Prepared Under the Direction of Maj. Gen. M. W. Ireland, the Surgeon General.. JAMA. 1927;88(20):1590–1591. doi:10.1001/jama.1927.02680460060040