This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
The Nutrition Clinic at Birmingham.—
In 1937 the department of internal medicine of the University of Cincinnati, the director of which is Dr. Marion A. Blankenhorn, started a clinic in nutrition in Birmingham at the invitation of the staff of the Hillman Hospital, and the clinic has operated since then each summer during the season when pellagra is prevalent. During the last season, which ended in November, 1,729 persons with deficiency disease were studied and treated. Last summer departments of seven additional separate colleges sent investigators or teams of workers mainly to do biochemical, bacteriologic, neurologic and psychiatric studies. These were the Ohio State University Department of Bacteriology, Iowa State University Department of Pathology and Neurology, University of Texas Department of Chemistry, University of Wisconsin Department of Biochemistry, Washington University Department of Medicine, University of California Department of Experimental Biology, University of Cincinnati Departments of Ophthalmology and Psychiatry, and
Medical News. JAMA. 1941;116(11):1172–1174. doi:10.1001/jama.1941.02820110136018