Views 514
Citations 0
News From the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
December 22/29, 2015

Weighty Issue During Pregnancy

Author Affiliations

Copyright 2015 American Medical Association. All Rights Reserved. Applicable FARS/DFARS Restrictions Apply to Government Use.

JAMA. 2015;314(24):2609. doi:10.1001/jama.2015.17222

About two-thirds of US women don’t gain the appropriate amount of weight during pregnancy, resulting in potentially serious health risks for mothers and their babies.

A recent CDC analysis of 2013 birth data from 41 states, New York City, and the District of Columbia showed that only 32% of women who delivered full-term, singleton infants had proper weight gain while pregnant. Among the other 68% of women, nearly half gained excessive weight during pregnancy (Deputy NP et al. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015;64[43]:1215-1220).

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview