[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
April 5, 1941

ACCIDENTAL DEATH FROM ABSORPTION OF HEATLESS PERMANENT WAVE SOLUTION

Author Affiliations

Atlanta. Ga.
From the Crawford W. Long Memorial Hospital, Emory University School of Medicine.

JAMA. 1941;116(14):1515-1517. doi:10.1001/jama.1941.62820140001007

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.

Abstract

On March 19 a healthy young married woman, mother of three children, drove her car, accompanied by a woman friend, from her home to Atlanta—a distance of 40 miles—where she had an appointment for 10: 30 a. m. at a beauty shop for a heatless permanent wave. She arrived a little late, had her hair cut by the proprietor, an oil treatment and her hair prepared for the heatless permanent wave.

Her friend went by the beauty shop about 2:30 p. m. She told her friend to go to a movie or do anything else she had to do, since the treatment would require more time than she had anticipated. A few minutes later, after the preliminary preparations had been completed, the treatment was started by a trained operator. He had planned to continue it for seven minutes. The procedure consisted in spraying the wave solution through a closed circuit

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×