Pyridoxine hydrochloride, or the vitamin B6 fraction of the vitamin B complex, was first discovered by György1 in 1935 and was first prepared synthetically in 1939 by Harris and Folkers.2 It consists of 2-methyl-3 hydroxy-4, 5-dihydroxy-methyl-pyridine. It was first used clinically by Antopol and Schotland3 with beneficial results in 6 patients with pseudohypertrophic muscular dystrophy. These authors expressed the belief that the drug, through its pyridine structure, was involved in the enzyme system concerned in muscular metabolism. Jolliffe,4 believing muscular metabolism to be involved in paralysis agitans, tested the drug in this condition. He reported its use in 15 patients with paralysis agitans, all of whom had severe involvement. All patients received 50 to 100 mg. of pyridoxine hydrochloride intravenously. Four of the 15 patients showed definite objective improvement. The best results occurred in the idiopathic or arteriosclerotic type of the disease.
Since a considerable
BAKER AB. TREATMENT OF PARALYSIS AGITANS WITH VITAMIN B6 (PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE). JAMA. 1941;116(22):2484-2487. doi:10.1001/jama.1941.02820220026006