Otvetstvenny redaktor: L. N. Fedorov. [Report on Scientific Research of Allsoviet Institute of Experimental Medicine During Years 1933-1937.] Cloth. Price, 35 rubles. Pp. 575, with illustrations. Moscow & Leningrad: Narkomzdrav SSSR, Gosudarstvennoe Izdatelstvo Meditsinskoy Literatury "Medgiz," 1939.
This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
This large volume tells the story of the Allsoviet Institute of Experimental Medicine. In 1870 there was founded in St. Petersburg the Institute for Experimental Medicine, headed by the most prominent scientists in the various fields of medicine. This was the only research institute under the old régime. The work of the institute was constantly hampered by the parsimony of the government so that, for example, Pavlov's laboratory had to depend to a great extent on private contributions. From the beginning of the new régime the institute was considerably enlarged. A special biologic station was created for Pavlov outside the city of Leningrad. In 1932 it was decided to reorganize the institute into Allsoviet Institute for Experimental Medicine, the aim of which was to be "a many sided study of the human organism in health and in disease." Affiliates of the institute were founded in Moscow and in Sukhumi. In
Otchet o nauchno-issledovatelskoy rabote Vsesoyuznogo Instituta Eksperimentalnoy Meditsiny im. A. M. Gorkogo za 1933-1937 gg. JAMA. 1941;117(14):1219. doi:10.1001/jama.1941.02820400077034