This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
Aid for Cancer Patients
At the Deutsches Institut für Frauenkunde, Professor Blumenthal and Professor Liepmann described the development of cancer control in Berlin. Blumenthal, who is the director of the cancer institute in the Charité Hospital, gave an account of the origin and development of this institute, which was created in 1903 and was only recently taken over by the central government. The institute serves primarily cancer research. Cancer diagnosis and therapy, the relations between cancer and accident, evidence for the hereditary transmission and infectiousness of cancer, the influence of social conditions and of occupation, diet, and experimental cell research, are some of the problems studied in the institute, in spite of its restricted resources. With the aid of private funds, Blumenthal procured, during the war, roentgen apparatus and 130 mg. of radium, and bought and rented from the Auer-Gesellschaft 800 mg. of mesothorium, which is much cheaper than radium.
BERLIN. JAMA. 1931;96(17):1422-1423. doi:10.1001/jama.1931.02720430072023