This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
Over two years ago the Surgeon General of the Army was granted authority to form certain general, evacuation and surgical hospitals as sponsored units of medical schools or large civilian hospitals. These were called "affiliated units" and were given numbers which, in many instances, corresponded to numbers of similar organizations sponsored during the first world war.
Specific tables of organization were drawn up for these hospitals, and the sponsoring institution was directed to fill the positions from among individuals connected with the institution. Physicians who were recommended were given "affiliated" commissions in the grades set up in the table for the positions they were to occupy. These officers are for duty only with the organization in which they are commissioned. Many have requested active duty prior to the calling out of the unit, and this has been granted, with the understanding that they will be returned to their units as
AFFILIATED UNITS IN THE ARMY MEDICAL DEPARTMENT. JAMA. 1942;118(17):1454. doi:10.1001/jama.1942.02830170032012