[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 54.145.213.148. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
June 16, 1928

MECHANICAL TREATMENT OF EXPERIMENTAL RATTLESNAKE VENOM POISONING

Author Affiliations

SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS; Surgeon, U. S. Public Health Service WASHINGTON, D. C.
From the Hygienic Laboratory.

JAMA. 1928;90(24):1928-1929. doi:10.1001/jama.1928.02690510012004
Abstract

In the United States dangerous poisoning by the bite of the rattlesnake is comparatively infrequent, but deaths do occur in some sections of the country where these snakes are particularly abundant and of large size. Bites in children are especially dangerous, probably because of the low body weight in proportion to the amount of venom injected. One of us1 has shown that it is possible to remove venom from the tissues by mechanical means, and the experiments here reported are in the nature of a confirmatory report.

The venom used throughout these experiments was an unrefined, air dried product which was dissolved in a solution composed of equal parts of glycerin and 0.85 per cent sodium chloride solution, in the proportion of 0.050 Gm. of dried venom to 1 cc. of solution. This stock solution of venom was kept at 10 C. The dogs used were of varying sizes

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×