In a recent article1 on shoe dye poisoning it was stated that injury to the kidneys or hematuria was not noted in sixty-one cases prior to the case reported. In a patient with shoe dye poisoning under my observation, hematuria was noted on the third day.
A student, aged 17, of athletic stature, wore freshly dyed shoes to school for seven hours, when cyanosis and headache made their appearance. When seen, three hours after the onset of the symptoms, his face and finger nails were deeply cyanosed and he complained of severe frontal headache. The shoes had been removed previously because it was thought that the disagreeable odor of the fresh dye aggravated the headache. The rate and character of the pulse, respirations and temperature were normal. He was advised to bathe the feet repeatedly in water; to take a sponge bath and a purgative; to drink large
Schmitt OJ. A CASE OF HEMATURIA FROM SHOE DYE POISONING. JAMA. 1928;91(10):726. doi:10.1001/jama.1928.92700100001011