This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
New Naval Hospital at Philadelphia
A new $3,200,000 building for the U. S. Naval Hospital, Philadelphia, with a capacity of 650 beds, was dedicated April 12. Speakers at ceremonies were Rear Admiral William C. Watts, commandant of the Philadelphia Navy Yard; Congressman George P. Darrow, Philadelphia, who was instrumental in procuring the federal appropriation for the hospital; Mayor Hampton L. Moore; Brig. Gen. Frank T. Hines, Washington, D. C., veterans' administrator; Rear Admiral Perceval S. Rossiter, surgeon general of the navy; Rear Admiral N. M. Smith of the navy civil engineers corps; Col. Vincent A. Carroll, representing the American Legion; Harry J. Crossen, regional manager, Veterans' Administration, and Dr. J. Evans Scheehle, state secretary of welfare, representing the governor of Pennsylvania. The buildings comprise a fourteen story main hospital, nurses' quarters, hospital corps quarters, four sets of officers' quarters and a garage situated in a twenty-two acre plot in League
Government Services. JAMA. 1935;104(23):2106. doi:10.1001/jama.1935.02760230054018