The health department inaugurated in Detroit in 1928 a program of participation by the general medical practitioner in official public health procedure the ultimate objective of which was to secure the sympathetic and whole hearted support of the medical profession in order that the general practitioner might not only practice curative medicine but actively take his part and share his responsibility in the preventive medical program. A campaign to secure protection against diphtheria, for young children, more especially the preschool child, was used to interest and stimulate response from the general practitioner. A review of the work accomplished prior to October, 1930, has been published.1 Our purpose here is to reaffirm the objectives of the undertaking and to report progress which has been made during the last six months.
In Detroit, as elsewhere, the health department has maintained public health clinics over a period of years, with the purpose
GEIB LO, VAUGHAN HF. THE PHYSICIAN AS HEALTH WORKER. JAMA. 1931;97(6):366-369. doi:10.1001/jama.1931.02730060004002