This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
THE SCHICK GENERAL HOSPITAL
The Schick General Hospital, which was formally opened on October 7, is located 3 miles north of Clinton, Iowa. The hospital has a capacity of 1,514 beds and consists of 103 separate structures. The grounds consist of 89.6 acres of land enclosed by an 8 foot wire fence. There are a chapel, laundry, post exchange, post office, ambulance service, recreational facilities and air conditioned operating rooms. Prior to the formal opening of the hospital there were 2,687 patients admitted (Sept. 30, 1943), of whom 674 were operated on. The first patient was admitted on Feb. 15, 1943, and on the same day the first surgical operation was performed, on a soldier from this command. On the day of the formal opening there were 1,175 patients in the hospital, representing every overseas theater of operation. The allotment of nurses is 120 and of enlisted men
MEDICINE AND THE WAR. JAMA. 1943;123(9):566–571. doi:10.1001/jama.1943.02840440048017