This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
THE NEWTON D. BAKER GENERAL HOSPITAL
The new Newton D. Baker General Hospital, near Martinsburg, W. Va., covers 30 acres on a military reservation consisting of 186 acres. Construction was begun during 1943, and the first patients were admitted in January 1944. Over 700 patients are now receiving treatment at the hospital, and it will eventually accommodate 1,750 patients. The hospital is built on the standard plan of the Army's general hospitals, with certain variations. A two story administration building connects by corridors with the rest of the installation. Corridors connect all buildings, so that it is not necessary to expose the patient at any time to climatic changes. There are approximately eighty buildings, including those not corridor connected. The walls are of masonry, and construction is of a semipermanent type. An automatic fire control system has also been installed. The space between the buildings is laid out
MEDICINE AND THE WAR. JAMA. 1944;124(15):1065–1068. doi:10.1001/jama.1944.02850150045017