This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
DEVELOPMENT OF THE POLICY
As early as 1937 the American Red Cross authorized a few selected chapters to carry on an experiment in the enrolment of volunteer blood donors to be available on call from hospitals and physicians for blood donations free of charge to those not able to pay for them. Under the stimulus of the war, the blood plasma program of the Office of Civilian Defense and the Red Cross blood donor service for the armed forces, a demand arose from many communities for local blood or plasma banks for civilians. The national organization responded in March 1942 by providing that, on approval by the national medical director, chapters might participate in such undertakings on certain specified conditions. Chief among these were the requirements that the project must be sponsored and operated by the local medical society, the city or state health department or a specially qualified hospital laboratory
THE AMERICAN RED CROSSANNOUNCEMENT OF NEW POLICY GOVERNING THE PARTICIPATION OF RED CROSS CHAPTERS AND CIVILIAN BLOOD DONOR SERVICES. JAMA. 1945;128(10):728–729. doi:10.1001/jama.1945.92860270001009