This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
Dedication of Hospital for Indians.—
The new $450,000 building of the base hospital for Navajo and Hopi Indians, the Southern Navajo General Hospital and Sanatorium at Fort Defiance, was recently dedicated with Dr. James G. Townsend, Washington, D. C., director of health, U. S. Office of Indian Affairs, presiding. Dr. William W. Peter, medical director, Navajo-Hopi areas, Window Rock, spoke and Henry Taliman, chairman, Navajo Tribal Council, spoke for the Navajo tribe. A patriarchal ceremony by a representative of the Navajo medicine men preceded the dedication and official opening. E. R. Freyer, general superintendent of the Navajo Agency, officially opened the building. The old hospital is being used as a sanatorium for tuberculosis. The two buildings provide for 226 patients. The Navajo-Hopi reservation of 25,000 square miles is the largest of 199 Indian reservations in twenty-two states; it has a total population of about 45,000 Navajos and 3,000 Hopis.
Medical News. JAMA. 1938;111(13):1218–1222. doi:10.1001/jama.1938.02790390074018