The effects of large doses of vitamin D on animals were described in detail some years ago.1 Since the amounts of vitamin D required to produce toxic effects were far beyond that necessary for the prevention or treatment of rickets, these results seemed, at the time of their presentation, to be largely of academic interest. However, the use of large doses of vitamin D in the treatment of arthritis has exposed a great number of people to the hazards of hypervitaminosis D. For this reason it is important to renew interest in the effects of vitamin D overdosage and to emphasize again, as others have done recently,2 the symptoms and consequences of its toxicity.
Some authors,3 in reporting on the use of vitamin D in the treatment of arthritis, have tended to minimize the seriousness of the toxic effects which it produced. Others4 have pointed out
FREEMAN S, RHOADS PS, YEAGER LB. TOXIC MANIFESTATIONS ASSOCIATED WITH PROLONGED ERTRON INGESTION. JAMA. 1946;130(4):197–202. doi:10.1001/jama.1946.02870040013004