This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
Feb. 26, 1932, I was called to see the Williams family (Negro) three miles from Orangeburg, S. C., near Caw Caw Swamp, Orangeburg County, and found a baby girl, aged 14 months, dead and six other members of the family acutely ill with temperatures ranging from 103 to 105.
According to the history, four of the children, aged 5, 6, 8 and 10 years, found a dead rabbit. They cleaned, cooked and served it for the evening meal, February 22, four days prior to the call for my aid. Three days later they were unable to walk. They staggered about, vomited, complained of a pain in the stomach, and had diarrhea.
Since the father and grandmother were not affected and there were no ulcers or glandular involvement of the axillary region, influenza was considered and symptomatic treatment instituted.
Two days later, February 28, a boy, aged 2 years, had several
CRAWFORD M. TULAREMIA FROM THE INGESTION OF INSUFFICIENTLY COOKED RABBIT. JAMA. 1932;99(18):1497-1498. doi:10.1001/jama.1932.02740700037009