This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
This pamphlet is a report of the Polish committee for the campaign against cancer. The first part discusses the attempts of the Polish committee to educate the public, create hospital facilities for the care of cancer patients, and conduct scientific research. It is of historical interest to note that as early as 1591 a hospital in Warsaw was set aside for the "putrefies," or "rotten," as patients suffering from cancer in those days were designated. At the close of the sixteenth century another hospital was built in Krolikarnia, near Warsaw, where until this day seventy women patients suffering from cancer are hospitalized each year. Not until 1929, however, were facilities made available for male cancer patients at the Hospital St. Lazare. The first dispensary for the diagnosis and treatment of cancer was organized in 1917 at the Hospital St. Alexandre and supported by the municipality of Lodz, and in 1921
Le cancer en Pologne.. JAMA. 1932;99(18):1535-1536. doi:10.1001/jama.1932.02740700075041