This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
President Truman on August 13 gave his approval to the Hill-Burton hospital construction bill, officially designated as the Hospital Survey and Construction Act. With that approval this legislation became Public Law No. 725, 79th Congress. While the new law authorizes an appropriation of $3,000,000 for state conducted surveys of need and $75,000,000 annually for a five year period for construction of hospitals and related facilities, the recent Congress made available only $2,350,000, earmarked for assistance to states in surveying and planning and for administrative expenses of the United States Public Health Service in connection with the program.
The formation of a Division of Hospital Facilities has been announced by the Public Health Service, to be headed by Medical Director Vane M. Hoge. This new division of the Bureau of State Services will be responsible for carrying out the functions which the Public Health Service is authorized to perform under the
THE HOSPITAL SURVEY AND CONSTRUCTION ACT. JAMA. 1946;132(3):148–149. doi:10.1001/jama.1946.02870380030010