This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
On Nov. 7, 1950 the citizens of Baltimore will vote on an amendment to the city charter which, if passed, will hamper medical teaching and research in that city by making impounded animals unavailable to medical schools, hospitals or similar institutions. Prior to Jan. 1, 1950 the Maryland Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals held the contract for the collection and disposal of stray dogs in Baltimore. This society refused to permit the medical schools to use unclaimed animals for research and teaching purposes, and these institutions had to rely on out of town dealers to provide the necessary animals. In 1947, when the S. P. C. A. launched a campaign against these dealers, it became evident that vigorous action would have to be taken to insure an adequate source of supply. The Board of Estimates of Baltimore was requested to alter the contract for the collection of
THE ANTIVIVISECTIONISTS MOVE AGAIN. JAMA. 1950;144(8):689-690. doi:10.1001/jama.1950.02920080091011