The maternal health center for contraceptive advice is a comparatively new development in this country. The first of these centers, the Birth Control Clinical Research Bureau, was organized in New York by Margaret Sanger in 1923 with a physician in charge. The fact that 1,208 patients were advised during the first year of the bureau isevidencethat itfilled a need; for, under the law, its services could not be advertised, nor was it listed among the city's various health agencies.
At the close of 1939, sixteen years after the establishment of the first center, 549 of them were functioning under medical direction in forty-two states. Of these, 171 were located in public health departments, ninety-two in hospital quarters and 286 insettlement houses, church houses and extramural quarters. The majority of the public health services were in North and South Carolina, with seventy and forty-five services respectively. In both these states the
DICKINSON RL, MORRIS WE. BIRTH CONTROL CENTERSREPORT OF 202 IN THE UNITED STATES FOR THE YEAR 1939. JAMA. 1940;115(8):591–593. doi:10.1001/jama.1940.02810340019006