[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 54.161.175.236. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Other Articles
August 31, 1940

DESCRIPTION OF SCHOOLS OF THE BASIC MEDICAL SCIENCES

JAMA. 1940;115(9):708-725. doi:10.1001/jama.1940.02810350052011
Abstract

ALABAMA 

University (Tuscaloosa) 

University of Alabama School of Medicine.—  Organized in 1859 at Mobile as the Medical College of Alabama. Classes graduated in 1861 and subsequent years excepting 1862 to 1868, inclusive. Reorganized in 1897 as the medical department of the University of Alabama. Present title assumed in 1907, when all property was transferred to the University of Alabama. In 1920 clinical teaching was suspended and the medical school was removed to the university campus near Tuscaloosa. Coeducational since 1920. Minimum entrance requirements are three years of collegiate work. The course of study covers two years of thirty-six weeks each. The faculty includes 15 professors and 12 instructors, assistants, and others, a total of 27. The tuition fees are $271 each year. Each class is limited to fifty students. The registration for 1939-1940 was 103. The next session begins Sept. 11, 1940, and ends May 27, 1941. The Dean

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×