This report presents the results of a program of cancer detection in rural practice. Sixteen hundred and fifty examinations have been carried out on 950 presumably well women over a period of six years, and 13 malignant growths have been found.
The first cancer detection clinic in this country was established in 1937,1 and today approximately 240 detection centers are in operation.2 The Lorain County Medical Society of Ohio fell in line with this movement and opened a detection center in Elyria in 1946 along with a diagnostic clinic in Lorain. For various reasons the county medical society discontinued the Elyria detection center one year ago and, instead, sponsored a program to make every physician's office a cancer detection center. The local cancer committee was to continue with its program of education and publicity. To date 42 members of the county society have signified their willingness to cooperate
Siddall AC. CANCER DETECTION IN RURAL PRACTICEREPORT OF 1,650 EXAMINATIONS. JAMA. 1951;145(5):314–317. doi:10.1001/jama.1951.02920230038008