This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
New Headquarters of the Danish Medical Association.
—Further data concerning the new headquarters of the Danish Medical Association, Domus Medica (J. A. M. A. 139:247 [Jan. 22] 1949), have now been published by Dr. Carl Mailand of Copenhagen. The original Domus Medica was destroyed in 1944 by the Germans, who believed that the doctors of Denmark must be warned and punished because of their underground activities. After the war, there was little prospect of rebuilding on the old site because of shortages of material and prohibitive costs. Early in 1948, when the situation seemed hopeless, a magnificent building became available. It was the Plessen Palace, which had been built in 1901 by Baron Josef v. Plessen, a man of great culture and wealth, at the cost of one million Danish kroner, an impressive figure at that time. The purchase sum in 1948 was one-and-a-half million Danish kroner, including the
DENMARK. JAMA. 1951;146(9):863-864. doi:10.1001/jama.1951.03670090095030