This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
The United States Air Force Hospital at Andrews Air Force Base, Washington, D. C., was formally dedicated on Nov. 7. Major Gen. Olin F. McIlnay, deputy surgeon general, in his dedicatory address, stated that this new facility symbolized the many advancements and improvements that have been made in military and clinical medicine. The hospital, which was opened on Aug. 4, has 250 beds located in nine wings. In addition, it can accommodate over 100 transient patients at one time as part of the U. S. A. F. aeromedical evacuation system. The Air Force Clinic, a group of specialty clinics designed to provide examination and treatment of patients on an appointment basis, is staffed and equipped to see about 800 persons daily. A five-story, air-conditioned, brick structure, the hospital has many modern systems including central oxygen distribution, vacuum suction, pneumatic tube message delivery, intercommunications in all clinics
GOVERNMENT SERVICES. JAMA. 1958;168(15):2035. doi:10.1001/jama.1958.03000150077018