[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 54.161.175.236. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
August 18, 1962

Toxicity of Ingested Hexachlorophene

Author Affiliations

Ann Arbor, Mich.
From the Department of Urology, University Hospital, The University of Michigan.; Dr. Wear is now with the Department of Urology, University Hospital, The University of Wisconsin, Madison.

JAMA. 1962;181(7):587-589. doi:10.1001/jama.1962.03050330017004
Abstract

The accidental ingestion of a preparation containing hexachlorophene (pHisoHex) has been encountered in 10 patients. In most instances the suspension containing it was mistaken for milk of magnesia. This occurred because the disinfectant (meant to be used as a preoperative scrub) was dispensed in a paper cup, without adequate instructions and supervision by the nurse, and because the suspension resembles milk of magnesia in color and viscosity. The major symptoms of toxicity were anorexia, nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, and diarrhea. Dehydration was sometimes severe and associated with shock. The water and electrolyte derangement must be treated vigorously. Hexachlorophene is believed to be the primary factor in causing this toxicity. The theoretically fatal dose of hexachlorophene is 2 to 10 gm. and is contained in 67 to 300 cc. of the preparation used.

×