[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Other Articles
March 11, 1961

Intussusception Due to Segmental Aganglionosis

Author Affiliations

U. S. Army

From the Surgical and Pathological Services of the 97th General Hospital, APO 757, New York. Dr. Lawrence is now at West Suburban Hospital, Oak Park, Ill. Dr. Van Wormer is with the Department of Pathology, University of Wisconsin, Madison.

JAMA. 1961;175(10):909-911. doi:10.1001/jama.1961.63040100024020c

INTUSSUSCEPTION is a frequent abdominal emergency of childhood, its treatment having captured the interest of physicians since Jonathan Hutchinson's first operative reduction in 1873.1 Although numerous theories exist as to the cause of this condition, approximately 95 per cent of all cases remain without a specific etiologic agent. In the remaining 5 per cent, specific causative factors such as Meckel's diverticulum, intestinal polyp, duplication of small bowel, etc., have been described.1-4 We recently observed a patient with a previously undescribed specific cause of intussusception, segmental aganglionosis, whose case is reported here.

Case History  A 4-month-old female infant was admitted to the 97th General Hospital in January, 1958, with abdominal colic, vomiting, and obstipation; a right lower quadrant mass was palpable on physical examination. Barium enema examination confirmed the presumptive diagnosis of intussusception, but hydrostatic reduction was not possible. Abdominal exploration was then done and reduction accomplished, but

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview